(CNN) -- The Federal Aviation Administration has released the
taped conversations between the Miami International Airport
control tower, ValuJet First Officer Richard Hazen and other planes during the moments
before the crash May 11 that killed 110 people.
ValuJet planes are referred to as "critter," a reference to
the smiling airplane used as a company logo.
Here are some of the radio transmissions, without some of the
comments made by other planes traveling in the area at the
- Flight 592: Afternoon departure. Critter 592 is out of 500
going to 5,000.
- Miami Departure (MD): Critter 592 departure, good
afternoon, radar contact, climb and maintain 7,000.
- F592: 7,000, 592.
- MD: Critter 592 turn left heading three-six-zero.
- F592: three-six-zero, 592.
- MD: Critter 592, turn left hearing three-three-zero.
- F592: Three-three-zero, 592.
- MD: Critter 592 turn left heading three-zero-zero, join
the winco transition, climb and maintain one-six-thousand.
- F592: Three-zero-zero the heading, join the wink at
16,000, Critter 592.
- MD: Critter 592 contact Miami Center on (radio frequency)
30-2-45. So long.
- F592: Critter 592 needs an immediate return to Miami.
- MD: Critter 592, roger, turn left heading 270, descend and
- F592: Two-five-zero, 5,000, 592.
- MD: What kind of problem are you having?
- F592: Smoke in the cockpit, smoke in the cabin.
- MD: Roger.
- MD: Critter 592, when able, turn left heading 250, descend
and maintain 5,000.
- F592: Five-two-zero, 7,000.
- MD: Winco, Critter 592 is coming back to Miami. He's got
- F592: Critter 592, we need the closest airport available.
- MD: Critter 592, they're gonna be standin'
(unintelligible) standing by for you. You can plan runway
one-two when able, direct to dolphin now.
- F592: Need radar vectors.
- MD: Critter 592, turn left heading one-four-zero.
- F592: One-four-zero. (That was the last transmission from
ValuJet Flight 592).
- MD: Critter 592, keep the turn around heading
- MD: Critter 592, contact Miami approach on corrections.
No, you just keep my frequency.
- MD: Critter 592, you can turn left heading one-zero-zero
and join runway one-two localizer at Miami.
- MD: Critter 592 descend and maintain 3,000.
- MD: Critter 592, Opa Locka Airport's about 12 o'clock at
- American Eagle Flight 809: OK, 35-17. How did critter make